A not very timely note

This was a blog I once wrote during my high school and early college years. I keep it around for nostalgic purposes, but it is quite obviously no longer updated. I am looking to make a more professional blog presence in the future, but I still like to look at where I was mentally at certain points in time.

- G. Jan 2013

Friday, May 9, 2008

"Faces" by G.

And no, I'm not talking about your face... your physical one anyway. I'm talking about our different "mental" faces. You could say that everyone has a bit of a split personality. Do you act exactly the same when you are out in public then when your just by yourself? Most probably you don't. Because we seem to put up a different face at different times. But why do we do this? Why can't we just show our "true" face all the time? Obviously there are a lot of reasons. Sometimes society expects certain things from people, things that many people don't have. Maybe we are supposed to act a certain way, or dislike a certain thing, or look a certain way. In the people's rush to fit in; to not stand out like a sore thumb, we knowingly or unknowingly create a facade that we show to others. Having other "faces" can be dangerous, because if you aren't careful you might lose your true face, who you really are, to the face that we all parade around outside. I think everything can be useful in some way; so can your "mental" faces. But only if you have them for the right reasons. People really should be themselves, or try to be. I just think its sad that our society almost "requires" us to have another face to show to other people. Seriously though, lets just ditch the extra faces. I think your true self is probably a heck of a lot more interesting.

3 comments:

Da Old Man said...

You raise some good points. But I have come across some people who don't have the ability or have the judgement to know when it is not appropriate to do certain things. That can be a PITA, too.

M. said...

People unfortunately act different ways in different settings, but it's the nature of who we are.

We're not the same in front of our parents as in front of our friends.

Sometimes it's defensive. Sometimes it's based on upbringing. Sometimes it's because we're deceiving. Will it go away?

Anonymous said...

Interesting topic G.

I find it useful...
Why not have a wardrobe of faces?
Stay a few steps ahead of the game...
Ask much, speak little.
and keep your true face for those you hold dear.

or sometimes
emotions may trigger the emergence of certain "faces"...
but I believe thats only natural.

-soli