A not very timely note

This was a blog I once wrote during my high school and early college years. I keep it around for nostalgic purposes, but it is quite obviously no longer updated. I am looking to make a more professional blog presence in the future, but I still like to look at where I was mentally at certain points in time.

- G. Jan 2013

Friday, May 30, 2008

"Mental Block" by Shinji


Everyone knows what it's like to have a mental block. You will be giving out ideas one by one, each of them a huge success. But then it hits. Your mind completely shuts down suddenly and without warning. You can't even put the pen to the paper without your head hurting. Yes, even us at Thoughts of G have mental blocks. I believe that's the cause of G's absence for a few days. However, I may be wrong. So what can you do to escape the clutches of a mental block? Well, Albert Einstein even had mental blocks. When he couldn't find the solution to a problem, he simply forgot about it and went about his day doing other activities. Just like that, everything came to him. The answer to the problem he was working on hit him like a ton of bricks. That's why you hear about people taking breaks from schoolwork or other things. They are either preventing a mental block, trying to escape one, or they're plain lazy. It's just as random that you will escape a mental block as you would come across one. Personally, I've faced blocks when programming a game I'm working on so I quit. I don't quit often, but when I do it means I'm frustrated something awful. Wouldn't you know it - while I was cooking dinner the answer came to me just like that. I tried the oh-so-sudden answer that came to me and it worked perfectly. The reason is because your mind works on the problem in the background so to speak. While you do other things it gives your mind time to work out the problem. So next time you have a mental block, be it doing schoolwork, writing music, or whatever else, just take a break. You'll be surprised how the solution just comes to you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... this is SO true. I write a humor blog (it's funny to SOME people), and sometimes working on something new feels almost like homework. Sometimes I just don't feel funny and if I push through and write something anyway, it shows.

So yeah, taking a break and getting involved in other things is really good advice. Right on.

Anonymous said...

Good cure you have for mental blocks. I mean we have been overworking our mind so much that we often forget to take a break once in a while to recharge. Don't think too much about it...