A not very timely note

This was a blog I once wrote during my high school and early college years. I keep it around for nostalgic purposes, but it is quite obviously no longer updated. I am looking to make a more professional blog presence in the future, but I still like to look at where I was mentally at certain points in time.

- G. Jan 2013

Monday, June 30, 2008

"Lying" by G.

Ah that dreaded word; Lying. You were told time and time again to always be honest. And you should be. Lying can taint relationships, wilt the trust a person has in you, and has effects that are extremely hard to counteract. But... small bits of lying are actually healthy, believe it or not. If a friend who was horrible at dancing asked your opinion about it, would you downright tell them how bad they were? You would probably stretch the truth a bit. This is one common function of lying; to prevent people's feelings from being hurt. While it might be better to tell the whole truth, there are very sensitive people who would probably be very hurt. The other common function of lying is to avoid starting conflicts. Lets say there was a person who was very passionate and argumentative about a certain thing. While you might not like that thing as much as this person, you may once again "stretch" things to avoid a argument about it. So you see, these are healthy lies. White lies that do help to preserve some kind of social harmony and, well, keep the peace. Lying becomes a problem when it goes beyond this. When random things just come out of your mouth when people ask you questions. Remember, lies have the unfortunate potential to hurt people very deeply if the lie is uncovered. Don't dig yourself into that kind of hole. Your policy should always be to stay honest, but if a little fib now and then preserves the calm, then you are perfectly ok. Your thoughts on this are most welcome!

5 comments:

Admin said...

wow...i would have written it the same way...nice ^__^

Anonymous said...

I hate lying , because i hate being lie to. I think an instance that i would lie is if i knew you had few hours left to live, I would keep that away from you not to stress you .. i think.

BTW, i think you are capable of reading my blog- after all, i write it and I'm hardly a genius!

G. said...

@Jonas Thanks!

@dangel I know I was kidding :)

Anonymous said...

I liked your post. I think more people need to learn to use constructive versus destructive criticism. It is never good to lie as the truth usually comes out in the end and they tend to build on each other! Thanks for submitting and keep up the good work!

G. said...

Thanks Maria! Yeah constructive criticism is the best way, its just that there are people who take any kind of criticism badly unfortunately. I'll try to keep crafting more good posts :P