A not very timely note

This was a blog I once wrote during my high school and early college years. I keep it around for nostalgic purposes, but it is quite obviously no longer updated. I am looking to make a more professional blog presence in the future, but I still like to look at where I was mentally at certain points in time.

- G. Jan 2013

Thursday, April 23, 2009

"Don't Forget the Scenery" by G.

Imagine a family of four on a road trip that goes for about a thousand miles. The dad is driving, the mom is sleeping, and the kids are plugged in to a mp3 player or watching some movie. While their minds are all contained to the car, the scenery that lies outside will never enter their memories. You could always go driving, you could always take a nap, and your electronic devices aren't going to take a vacation in the Bahamas. But the landscape they travel through isn't a common sight. In their rush to reach their destination, they miss the little things among the road. Sadly, that's the kind of life most of us have been reduced to these days. But whether this is out of necessity or of ambition, we need to realize that a life of just surviving is no life at all.

Times are tough; I don't need to elaborate on that. But I also know this; if we don't take a little time to appreciate the little things that we got now, we might not get that chance later on. The one thing that can't get taken from you is what you hold in your head; it's the world's most secure safe for the time being. In our most dire hour, it's a real comfort to travel back and envelop ourselves in the warmth of good memories. It doesn't even have to be something spectacular; just remembering a sunset or a peaceful brook gives you a calm mental retreat in a world of chaos. But my main point; no matter how much you get caught up in your ambitions, or how hard your working to stand on your own two feet and survive, not looking out at the scenery once in while makes for a hollow and empty mind. Don't let potentially good things pass you by on your journeys. Regret is a feeling that is very hard to soothe.

2 comments:

earthtoholly said...

Very nice points, G. I am guilty of not living in the moment...it's a bad habit and one that takes practice to break. I must say, though, that when I'm on a long car trip, no matter how many times I've taken the ride, I always love looking out the window. Too much good nature scenery!

G. said...

Holly: Thank you for reading! Yeah, even though I haven't been around on this planet for all that long, this is one of those things that can turn into a huge regret later on. I think that working hard in life gives another benefit besides just surviving, it gives us the opportunity to make some good memories. When we get too caught up in that process, we tend to let that slip through our fingers, which really is sad. Yeah, I don't understand the logic of a road trip if you don't even take a peek out of the window!